WALTER C PARSON CUP Camelford 2 St Blazey 2 aet

SWPL logoJason Chapman underlined that he remains one of the best goalkeepers at this level as he produced a player of the match performance to see St Blazey through to the Peninsula League Cup quarter-finals.

After denying Camelford on a number of occasions during 120 minutes of enthralling action at Trefrew Road on Monday, the 36-year-old custodian then made two penalty saves as the Green & Blacks won the shootout 3-1.

He kept out spot kicks from Charlie Hambly and Cam Patterson to leave Callum Kenny to smash home the winner.

Penalty shootouts are a lottery but on this occasion the best team on the day got their just reward.

Blazey grew stronger as the tie progressed and dominated the second half and 30 minutes of extra time, although Camelford were always dangerous on the break.

Reg Hambly’s players gave it their all but they were out on their feet in the extra half an hour.

The Camels had started the game well, with Mark Gusterson lifting a close range shot just over the bar in the seventh minute and Ed Harrison denied by Chapman’s block three minutes later and again in the 15th minute.

But it was third time lucky for Harrison when his low drive from 18 yards found the far corner to put the home side 1-0 up after 19 minutes.

Gusterson looked favourite to double their lead on the half-hour as he was played through but Chapman came out to make an excellent save.

The second half belonged to Blazey and their pressure finally told in the 73rd minute when influential substitute Jed Smale headed in Will Tinsley’s superb cross from the right after Chris Reski played a short corner to him.

A minute later Jordan Dingle found himself on the edge of the Camels’ penalty area but with two team-mates waiting to be played in, he took too long and was dispossessed.

It seemed only a matter of time before Blazey found a winner, but Camelford went back into the lead two minutes from the end of normal time with a stunning direct free kick from Harrison.

Blazey refused to be beaten and as the game entered four minutes of stoppage time, striker Liam Eddy was tripped by Camelford keeper Josh Colwill and Callum McGhee scored the penalty.

None of the players looked like they relished an extra 30 minutes one a heavy pitch but to their credit they maintained the drama and both teams had chances to nick it.

So to the penalties. McGhee missed Blazey’s first, and Harrison put the Clarets 1-0 ahead. Smale levelled and then Camels skipper Adam Sleep sent his spot kick over the bar. So 1-1 after two penalties each.

Olly Brokenshire made it 2-1 but after Charlie Hambly’s effort was saved, Dingle blasted his shot over.

Cam Patterson had the chance to level but Chapman made a superb save to leave Kenny to step up to smash in the winner.

Camelford J Colwill, L Downing (D Hocking 116), S Looker, C Hambly, D Metherell, C Hutchison (S Brown 105), C Patterson, A Sleep, E Harrison, M Gusterson, J Caddy (S Haddy 54).

Sub not used: H Page.

Yellow cards: S Looker (70), J Colwill (90), C Hutchison (103).

Goals: E Harrison 2 (19 & 88).

St Blazey J Chapman, W Tinsley, I Burden, J Dingle, M Giles, O Rosevear (C Kenny 104), C Reski (K Marks 74), O Brokenshire, L Eddy, C McGhee (R Ward 106), R Jarvis (J Smale 60).

Yellow cards: P Lafferty (manager) & J Isbell (assistant manager), 8 mins; L Eddy 36.

Goals: J Smale (73), C McGhee (90, pen).

Referee: N Hunnisett.

SWSN Stars Camelford - C Hutchison: St Austell - Jason Chapman.

#CornwallFootball touchline ace KEVIN MARRIOTT is sports editor at Voice Group Newspapers (Cornwall) 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok