SWPL EAST Ivybridge Town 3 Elburton Villa 0

SWPL logoTHERE was a welcome boost for Ivybridge Town with their first win in six games when they beat local rivals Elburton Villa 3-0 in the South West Peninsula League at Erme Valley last night.

Victory came on the back of a double defeat, home and away, against seventh placed Sidmouth following the news of a breakdown in merger talks between the Peninsula and Western Leagues which effectively ended Ivybridge’s hopes of playing at a higher level next season.

The fourth placed Ivies took the lead in the 37th minute when Lewis Dickson scored his second goal in successive matches by applying the finishing touch to a left wing cross.

Leading scorer Jordan Ewing increased the lead in the 62nd minute with a cracking shot for his 23rd goal of the season.

It was always looking comfortable for Ivybridge and Owen Raven wrapped up the victory in the 78th minute with a splendid shot that flew in off the underside of the bar.

Ivybridge manager Darren Stewart praised his players, saying: “It has been a tough three or four weeks with the merger news, injuries and loss of form which means we have been dropping points.

“There was also the news going public this week about me leaving the club at the end of the season.
“We had a good chat before the game and I was delighted with the boys’ attitude and want to thank them for going out there and getting the job done, which was a welcome boost to everybody in the club.”

Reflecting on the game, Stewart added: “Elburton will sit back and try to hit you on the counter, so it is all about getting the first goal, which we did in the first half.
“The second half was really comfortable for us. We are lacking a little bit of confidence at the moment. I think the opportunity was there in the second half to really turn the screw and score as many goals as we wanted but we will settle for three.
“It is having that clinical aspect to our game which at times, especially in the last three or four games, we just haven’t had which has seen us drop points.
“It was nice to score three but as always, as a manager, you want a little bit more. It would have been nice to come off the pitch tonight with a couple more in the bag.”

The game at Ivybridge was the only one of four scheduled East Division fixtures to survive the persistent rain that fell during the day with Stewart commenting: “Most games were called off tonight, but the guys here kept the game on for us and the referee passed the pitch fit. To be honest, it played all right, especially in the first hour. The ball moved around the surface really well. Obviously, as the game went on, it deteriorated but it was pretty comfortable for us in the second half, so I don’t think the pitch really had an impact on the performance overall.”

The victory was particularly important for Ivybridge as they now go into a sequence of five successive away matches, including three in eight days with visits to close neighbours Plymouth Marjon on Saturday (March 18), Bovey Tracey next Wednesday (March 22) and Honiton on Saturday week (March 25).
Stewart said: “It was lovely to get a good result because this group of lads are not used to losing, definitely not losing two on the bounce, so I think it was a timely boost for everyone that we got the three points.
“We have eight games left and we want to try and finish the season on a positive note. Each game will be a tough one on the run-in, so it was good to get that kick-started with a win.”

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok