KJM SPORT REPORT Ashton & Backwell 3 Millbrook AFC 1

Millbrook AFC LogoThe frustrations of football were there for all to see as Millbrook failed to capitalise on a dominant first hour at the Lancer Scott Stadium on Saturday.

They had no goals to show for their efforts and when Joe Banks broke the deadlock for United, the writing was on the wall for Macca Brown’s boys.

Jack Fillingham scored twice in five minutes to put the game beyond Millbrook, although Sean Thomson did register a consolation goal from the penalty spot five minutes from time.
Brown said: “It’s a really frustrating one, we’ve had some tough games last week and the two games against Buckland and Helston where we’ve taken four points probably could have easily gone either way.
“Saturday was probably our best performance with the ball out of the three and we leave with nothing.

“Their manager said after it was a game of two halves, but I’d say for an hour or so we were excellent and in complete control and there only looked like one winner.

“We’ve been quite poor on the road this season, but I was delighted with our approach to this game. We were on the front foot and lively and all that was missing was that bit of quality in the final third.”

The omens were not good for the Brook early on, when the influential Josh Toulson limped off after 10 minutes with a hamstring strain.
Brown said: “We probably should have known it was going to be one of those days when we lost JT; it was a blow as he’s been brilliant recently.
“We have freshened the team up a few times in the last three games for that very reason, but you can’t change everyone and it’s just typical one of the players we didn’t rotate pulled up.”
Millbrook did, however, go on to dominate the first half, although they lacked a touch of quality in the final third.
Brown said: “That was the message at half time, and we were then superb for the first 15 minutes or so of the second half as well, completely dominant and even better than the first, but it was a similar story.
“Then with what seemed to be their first attack of the second half Ashton had a deflected cross looped to the back post and they were 1-0 up which shook us slightly, but how many times do you see that sucker punch at every level.
“Ashton then to be fair took more control and maybe Tuesday night started kicking in the legs for us, but we have to stay in the game at that point and once again we didn’t.
“From our point of view the second goal was poor. Last week we benefitted from keeping it at 1-0 as we stayed in the game and were rewarded with a late equaliser but we didn’t do that yesterday.
“From a corner, Knighty (Ryan Knight), who saved us last week, was half asleep on the front post and it somehow squirmed between him and the post and then we had a bit of a mountain to climb.”

Brown added: “We must become a team that in games like that we have to make sure we take something home with us.

“To be honest if we had drawn the game we still would have been a bit deflated not to have won it, so it’s a bitter pill to swallow to take nothing at all.
“I look at Mousehole as an example and I can imagine what the balance of play was like in their game versus Cadbury Heath yesterday, and even their game up here at Ashton, and although they’ve not won either they’ve still taken points home and that has to be us.

“However, I hope our general play is as good on Saturday against Ilfracombe because I was delighted with that, I just hope we have that touch of quality to go with it.

“Full credit to Ashton though, they stayed in the game for that hour that we were on top, and were rewarded with that all important first goal.
“Sadly we can’t really have any complaints because football is a 90 minute game and ultimately what happens in both boxes makes or breaks you result wise.”

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok